Discover secure and private ways to message others online without letting any third parties read your messages.
If you are currently using an Instant Messenger like WhatsApp, Viber, LINE, Telegram or Threema, you should pick an alternative here.
- securechatguide.org - Guide to Choosing a Messenger.
- securemessagingapps.com - Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- thinkprivacy.io - Simple Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- RetroShare - An E2E encrypted instant messaging and voice/video call client. RetroShare supports both TOR and I2P.
- ChatSecure - ChatSecure is a free and open source messaging app that features OTR encryption over XMPP.
- Kontalk - A community-driven instant messaging network. Supports end-to-end encryption. Both client-to-server and server-to-server channels are fully encrypted.
- Conversations - An open source Jabber/XMPP client for Android 4.4+ smartphones. Supports end-to-end encryption with either OMEMO or openPGP. There is also Conversations Legacy which still supports OTR.
- Wire experimental (more info) - A free software End-to-End Encrypted chatting application that supports instant messaging, voice, and video calls.
- Status - Experimental A free and open-source, peer-to-peer, encrypted instant messanger with support for DAPPs.
- List of OTR Clients - Wikipedia
- Ricochet, the Messenger That Beats Metadata, Passes Security Audit | Motherboard
- Chatting in Secret While We're All Being Watched - firstlook.org
- Advanced users with special needs can download the Signal APK directly. Most users should not do this under normal circumstances.
- Download the Tor Browser.
- Run the Tor Browser installer or extract package for your platform. Windows (.exe), MacOSX (.dmg) and Linux (.tar.bz2).
- Copy the Tor binary or create a symbolic link to it:
- Windows: Copy the Tor binary included with the Tor Browser and overwrite the old one included with Ricochet.
- Tor Browser binary:
- Ricochet's included binary:
- MacOSX: Assuming you copied the
Ricochet.appfrom their respective .dmg install media to
Create a symbolic link to the Tor binary in Terminal. Ricochet will continue to use the up to date version of the Tor binary when you update the Tor Browser Bundle.
ln -s ~/Applications/Tor\ Browser.app/Contents/Resources/TorBrowser/Tor/tor \
- Linux: Assuming you extracted the Tor Browser Bundle and Ricochet tarball to your home directory:
ln -s ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/tor ~/ricochet/tor