Discover free, open source, and secure ways email clients, and some email alternatives you may not have considered.
Privacy Email Tools
- gpg4usb - A very easy to use and small portable editor to encrypt and decrypt any text-message or -file. For Windows and Linux. GPG tutorial.
- Mailvelope - A browser extension that enables the exchange of encrypted emails following the OpenPGP encryption standard.
- Enigmail - A security extension to Thunderbird and Seamonkey. It enables you to write and receive email messages signed and/or encrypted with the OpenPGP standard.
- TorBirdy - TorBirdy configures Thunderbird to make connections over the Tor anonymity network. This extension is in beta and should be considered experimental.
- Email Privacy Tester - This tool will send an Email to your address and perform privacy-related tests.
- K-9 Mail - An independent mail application for Android. It supports both POP3 and IMAP mailboxes, but only supports push mail for IMAP.
- GNU Privacy Guard - Email Encryption. GnuPG is a GPL Licensed alternative to the PGP suite of cryptographic software. Tutorial. Use GPGTools for macOS.
- Mailpile (Beta) - A modern, fast web-mail client with user-friendly encryption and privacy features.
Bitmessage is a P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers. It is decentralized and trustless, meaning that you need-not inherently trust any entities like root certificate authorities. It uses strong authentication which means that the sender of a message cannot be spoofed, and it aims to hide "non-content" data.Website Forum
- I2P-Bote - End-to-end encrypted decentralized mail system within the I2P network.