Discover secure and private ways to communicate with others online without letting any third parties read your messages.
- securechatguide.org - Guide to Choosing a Messenger.
- securemessagingapps.com - Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- thinkprivacy.io - Simple Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- Briar - An ultra-secure peer-to-peer instant messenger that connects to contacts via Direct Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Tor over the internet, keeping its users protected from surveillance and censorship.
- Riot - An open-source, federated messenger that utilizes the Matrix protocol. This application is primarily recommended as a large group/team chat solution. While Riot has the ability to perform 1-on-1 communications we believe there are better solutions for direct communications.
- RetroShare - An E2E encrypted instant messaging and voice/video call client. RetroShare supports both TOR and I2P.
- XMPP - Federated instant messaging protocol with OMEMO, OTR, or OpenPGP end-to-end encryption:
- Conversations (Android) - An open source Jabber/XMPP client for Android 4.4+ smartphones. OMEMO
- Gajim (FreeBSD, Linux, Windows) - An open source fully featured XMPP client. OMEMO
- Monal (iOS, MacOS) - An XMPP client in active development. OMEMO VoIP
- Other OMEMO ready clients.
- Kontalk - A community-driven instant messaging network. Supports end-to-end encryption. Both client-to-server and server-to-server channels are fully encrypted.
- Keybase - Warning End-to-end encrypted messaging with social verification.
- Status - Experimental A free and open-source, peer-to-peer, encrypted instant messanger with support for DAPPs.
- Tox - Experimental A free and open-source, peer-to-peer, encrypted instant messaging and video calling software. VoIP
- Jami (formerly Ring/SFLphone) - Gives you full control over your communications and an unmatched level of privacy. Jami has text messaging, video and audio calls, file transfer, video conferencing. VoIP
- Chatting in Secret While We're All Being Watched - firstlook.org
- Advanced users with special needs can download the Signal APK directly. Most users should not do this under normal circumstances.
- Independent security audits
- A Formal Security Analysis of the Signal Messaging Protocol (2019) by Katriel Cohn-Gordon, Cas Cremers, Benjamin Dowling, Luke Garratt and Douglas Stebila
- Independent security audits on Wire's website
- Keybase's Protocol Security Review (2019) by NCC Group
- Jitsi Meet - Jitsi Meet is a free and open source multiplatform voice (VoIP), videoconferencing and instant messaging application. Requires WebRTC
- More information about Mumble:
Riot.im is a federated free-software messaging application based on the Matrix protocol, a recent open protocol for real-time communication offering optional E2E encryption. It also has bridging functionality, allowing you to connect to other chat protocols such as IRC or Telegram. Experimental E2EE
- Wire Pro - Paid team communication with E2EE. Untested