Discover secure and private ways to communicate with others online without letting any third parties read your messages.
If you are currently using an Instant Messenger like Telegram, LINE, Viber, WhatsApp, or plain SMS you should pick an alternative here.
- securechatguide.org - Guide to Choosing a Messenger.
- securemessagingapps.com - Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- thinkprivacy.io - Simple Secure Messaging Apps Comparison.
- Briar - An ultra-secure peer-to-peer instant messenger that connects to contacts via Direct Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Tor over the internet, keeping its users protected from surveillance and censorship.
- RetroShare - An E2E encrypted instant messaging and voice/video call client. RetroShare supports both TOR and I2P.
- XMPP - Federated instant messaging protocol with OMEMO, OTR, or OpenPGP end-to-end encryption:
- Conversations (Android) - An open source Jabber/XMPP client for Android 4.4+ smartphones. OMEMO
- Gajim (FreeBSD, Linux, Windows) - An open source fully featured XMPP client. OMEMO
- Monal (iOS, MacOS) - An XMPP client in active development. OMEMO VoIP
- Other OMEMO ready clients.
- Kontalk - A community-driven instant messaging network. Supports end-to-end encryption. Both client-to-server and server-to-server channels are fully encrypted.
- Keybase - Warning End-to-end encrypted messaging with social verification.
- Status - Experimental A free and open-source, peer-to-peer, encrypted instant messanger with support for DAPPs.
- Tox - Experimental A free and open-source, peer-to-peer, encrypted instant messaging and video calling software. VoIP
- Jami (formerly Ring/SFLphone) - Gives you full control over your communications and an unmatched level of privacy. Jami has text messaging, video and audio calls, file transfer, video conferencing. VoIP
- Chatting in Secret While We're All Being Watched - firstlook.org
- Advanced users with special needs can download the Signal APK directly. Most users should not do this under normal circumstances.
- Independent security audits
- A Formal Security Analysis of the Signal Messaging Protocol (2019) by Katriel Cohn-Gordon, Cas Cremers, Benjamin Dowling, Luke Garratt and Douglas Stebila
- Independent security audits on Wire's website
- Keybase's Protocol Security Review (2019) by NCC Group
If you are currently using a Video/Voice Calling app like Skype, Viber or Google Hangouts, you should pick an alternative here. Please note that many of the above instant messengers also support VoIP. The software listed below are primarily Voice/Video focused.
- Jitsi Meet - Jitsi Meet is a free and open source multiplatform voice (VoIP), videoconferencing and instant messaging application. Requires WebRTC
- More information about Mumble:
If your project or organization currently uses a platform like Discord or Slack you should pick an alternative here.
- Wire Pro - Paid team communication with E2EE. Untested