How to access reddit without ads and tracking while benefiting from faster page load times
Reddit ranks in the top 10 of most visited website in the world. Part of their business model is serving ads to their users and gain data with tracking. Nonetheless redditors all over the world appreciate and love the website for it's user submitted content.
Desktop: teddit Frontend
If you prefer the old reddit design than teddit is your choice for a lightweight desktop experience.
This instance is part of PrivacyTools.io and securely hosted by our partner Privex.
- Official instance: https://teddit.net
- More instances: https://codeberg.org/teddit/teddit#instances
- Source code: https://codeberg.org/teddit/teddit
Desktop: Libreddit Frontend
Libreddit on the other hand decided to go with the new reddit design and layout. The features of the teddit and Libreddit privacy frontends are almost identical. It just comes down to your personal preference. Give both a try.
- Official instance: https://libredd.it/r/worldnews/
- More instances: https://github.com/spikecodes/libreddit#instances
- Source code: https://github.com/spikecodes/libreddit
For teddit and Libreddit you can also install a browser addon called LibRedirect to setup automatic redirects to privacy friendly frontends for many popular websites including reddit.
iPhone and iPad: Apollo for Reddit App
The Apollo for reddit app comes in a beautiful design, built for fast navigation and is easy to use.
- Apple App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apollo-for-reddit/id979274575
- Official Website: https://apolloapp.io/
- Subreddit: https://teddit.privacytools.io/r/apolloapp/
If you prefer the old reddit design more you can give narwhal for reddit a try.
Android: Infinity for Reddit
Infinity is a beautiful, feature-rich app that offers a smooth Reddit browsing experience. It is completely free and ad-less; you can browse Reddit without interruptions or distractions. Built by a passionate university student, Infinity is open source.
- Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ml.docilealligator.infinityforreddit
- F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/packages/ml.docilealligator.infinityforreddit/
- Subreddit: https://teddit.privacytools.io/r/Infinity_For_Reddit/
- Source Code: https://github.com/Docile-Alligator/Infinity-For-Reddit
An unofficial, open source client for reddit. It's completely free, lightweight and fast. All ads and tracking of reddit has been removed. Support multiple accounts and post swiping.
- Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.quantumbadger.redreader
- F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/packages/org.quantumbadger.redreader/
- Subreddit: https://teddit.privacytools.io/r/RedReader
- Source Code: https://github.com/QuantumBadger/RedReader
Alternative & Privacy Friendly Frontends for Social Media
Now that you have figured out on how to improve your reddit browsing experience you might wan't to visit our privacy friendly frontend section on PrivacyTools.io to learn about other frontends for: YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, imgur, Wikipedia, Medium, Quora and IMDb.
GitHub 💎 Gems
What are GitHub Gems by PrivacyTools.io? Open Source Software that doesn't fit the privacy topic on the main website PrivacyTools.io but are worth checking out. Most open source projects are run by privacy-minded people, anyway. From great developers for beautiful people like you. ❤️
GitHub Gems are hard to discover since they are so precious and rare, so please share them with us in our Forum if you happen to stumble upon a Gem. I will make sure to let the world know about them as soon as possible and share the love the developers have put in these tools.